HISTORY OF DENTISTRY
In the early days of dentistry, the main dental procedure carried out was an extraction (a treatment done by barbers!). It was later that “hole treatment” started mainly by replacing lost tooth structure with a filling.
Modern dentistry is constantly advancing in diagnoses and treatment. Emphasis is now placed on prevention and early diagnosis rather than mechanically treating dental problems.
Dr. Mamatha offers many dentist services such as:
- Examination and Diagnosis: Examination of the mouth is not limited to examination of the teeth and gums but extends to other oral tissues. This may be further aided by the use of other diagnostic aids such as radiographs, study models and a detailed examination of periodontal tissues.
- Preventive dentistry: This includes fluoride treatment, pit and fissure sealants and scaling and cleaning. Preventive dentistry also involves dietary advice and oral hygiene instruction.
- Restorative dentistry: This aspect of dentistry replaces lost tooth structure, these are silver amalgam restorations, white composite restorations, veneers, crown and bridge.
- Endodontics: The main aim of endodontics is to retain a tooth that has advanced decay and cannot be restored by a simple filling.
- Extractions: Usually done as a last resort when it is no longer possible to retain teeth in the mouth for a number of reasons.
- Bleaching: A cosmetic approach to brighten the smile. Both in-office and take-home systems are available.
- Paediatric Dentistry: Looks at treating dental problems in children
Our team aims to make patients comfortable. The approach is gentle. All diagnoses and treatment plan is explained to patients as clearly as possible. Prompt specialist referral is made when necessary.